Subject: Re: Re: [Harp-L] dylan electric @ Newport '65

The reality is that ALL "memories" of any major music event are  subjective.
It depends on where each person was, who they spoke with,  how much they
actually overheard (just how loud was the music anyhow?), how much  alcohol or
drugs were being imbibed or used at the time, etc. etc.  Even  film or a video
can be misconstrued or cut to show something considerably  different than the
actual events as we all know by now.  Police know that  "Eyewitness" testimony
is notoriously unreliable.

 Taking nothing away from Al Kooper  - he has a lot of  interesting and
hard-hitting comments to make about the recent New Orleans  disaster on this
website that are well worth a visit,  but a reminiscence  of Newport 65 in his
autobiography 33 years after the event that somehow  omits Dylan going back out to
first play Tambourine Man to placate the  audience....

    <(from  R. Gaustad's post: <"Here's a link to  an interesting story about
that first electric show at Newport.  Man, talk  about your pissed off
folkies!
_http://campus.queens.edu/depts/english/dylan_goes_electric_the_newport_.htm_
(http://campus.queens.edu/depts/english/dylan_goes_electric_the_newport_.htm)
Robert  G.")>

....before then playing  'It's All Over Now, Baby Blue",  seems to bear out
my humble opinion that no one individual's memory is ever  the whole truth and
nothing but.

.....and my quote posted to fjm about the liner notes from The Paul
Butterfield Blues Band, The Lost Elektra Sessions", was directly from   the man (Paul
Rothchild) who originally produced the songs for that album  in the studio
with the PBB ..... and personally hunted down and found the lost  tracks in a New
Jersey warehouse in 1987, then put the Album together in  1995, 30 years
after the tracks were presumed lost.  Yet even his  knowledge of what transpired
in 1965 has to be measured against the purely  subjective (and natural) way
people have of filtering momentous events through  the passage of time within
their own lives.  They're all wonderful  anecdotes, but no one person has the
"whole" truth.

Elizabeth

<the icman adds:
"Someone was there and wrote another perspective on that set - Al  Kooper"
".....Can you imagine (the audience) staring in disbelief as Dylan left the
stage after fifteen minutes??? Damn right, they booed. But not at Bob-rather,
at  whoever was seemingly responsible for yanking him offstage after fifteen
minutes. We had just run out of rehearsed material and that's why we  stopped.
....Bob, seizing the moment, returned to the stage with Peter's  acoustic
guitar and sang "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" to these people;  banishing the
acoustic-folk movement with one song right at the crossroads of  its origin. If
ever there was a galvanizing moment in musical history, this was  it.....
But the medea misconstrued (or manipulated) the whole point. They  attributed
the booing to Dylan's electric appearance."
Al Kooper, from his autobiography
The Iceman>"