Re: [Harp-L] Subjective opinions

<<< I might think that Rootin Tootin is a wonderfully talented
musician, but since I  don't like the musical genera rudacrance that he
plays, I don't care to  listen to him. >>>

What is rudacrance?

It's a word that means nothing that I used instead of naming a specific genera, same as Rootin Tootin is a made up name instead of a specific player. What I said applies to any player or genera. If I named one, the fans of him/her or that would shoot flaming arrows at me for my blasphemy.

Chris said that ~he did not like Paul Butterfield's vibrato, and didn't see what everyone raved about in him~. That's about like saying "I don't like deep fried turkey and don't see what everyone raves about". Subjective opinion, my grandson doesn't like broccoli, I do. I still love my grandson. Opinions vary.

I think that a harp player's opinion of a harp player's music is tainted by our appreciation of what it took for the player to develop the skill and technique to play like they do, or their contribution to the recognition of the instrument. A non-harp playing music listener doesn't know or care, all they care about is if they like the music. The never mentioned, on this list, Steve Earle is certainly nobody's idea of a wonderful harp player, but he often puts the harp to good use for his music. I like it, some folks don't. Opinions vary. Subjective.

Peace and music,
Dave