[Harp-L] Non-U.S harmonica (was Butterfield and Race)

Okay, I?m butting in here?. I admit that first of all.  Winslow, you need to
lighten up.  A guy gives his opinion on Butterfield and tries to qualify it
by putting it in a cultural/historical context and you have to parse it out
and correct him and otherwise try to negate what he says.  Maybe you have a
different view and maybe it really is less ?ethnocentric? but couldn?t you
find a friendlier way to say it all?  -One that isn?t so condescending?

Should I be inclined to wax essay-like on some aspect of harmonica
playing/music/culture, I would hope, like anyone else, that what I write is
as erudite and readable as possible.  But if I omit something because my
cultural frame of reference is wanting (as is everyone?s on some points) I
would hope readers would point it out in way that?s friendly helpful rather
than terse and condescending.

Sorry for the outburst everybody

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh

> Hi Winslow,
>
> First of all, I'm not even a U.S. citizen, Winslow.

Neither am I. But it's easy enough to have a U.S.-centric view
regardless of passport or of origin - as many of my Canadian countrymen
amply exemplify.

> I'm a European citizen with a European passport
> (the new bergundy colored European Union one).
> But, I confess - I'm married to an African-
> American woman. (OMG, is he really, he's
> kidding, right? OMFG)

I won't make a big deal of it if you won't.

> If I'm being U.S.-centric, it's because if
> given the choice between listening to Big Walter,
> or a Sousa marching band, I'll be listening
> to Walter (or holding my jacket over my ears).

Is that really your only choice?

> I also listen to a lot of Portugese fado, like
> Maritza and Amalia Rodriquez....classical Irish
> music, Peruvian & Bolivian panpipe, reggae, zouk
> and jing ping from the Caribbean.
>
> They're all good in their own way. None of
> these usually with harmonica (which in American > English is more
correctly called the
> "harp").

"More correctly" - Why? Both names for the instrument seem to have been
in common use in North America for as long as anyone can document its
presence.

> No marching bands though. No militaristic music
> of any kind.

For musical reasons, or non-musical ones?

Admittedly harmonica is often not recorded even in the traditions of
which it forms a part. But if you go looking for it you can find it.

> If you know of some great kinds of music with
> harp (harmonica) that you can turn me on to,
> I'll be receptive to learning something new
> (although I am truly an old dog) and thank you
> for it...

Four names:

Hugo Diaz
(Argentinian folk and tango chromatic harmonica)

Brendan Power
(Irish trad)

Donald Black
(Scottish trad)

Gabriel Labbé
(French Canadian trad)

All of them fabulous players, none of them (with the exception of
Brendan and then only in some of what he does) influenced by
African-American music.

Winslow