Re: Fwd: [Harp-L] Butterfield and Race

Hi Winslow,

  First of all, I'm not even a U.S. citizen, Winslow. I'm a European  citizen with a European passport (the new bergundy colored European  Union one). But, I confess - I'm married to an African-American woman.  (OMG, is he really, he's kidding, right? OMFG)

  If I'm being U.S.-centric, it's because if given the choice between  listening to Big Walter, or a Sousa marching band, I'll be listening to  Walter (or holding my jacket over my ears).

  I also listen to a lot of Portugese fado, like Maritza and Amalia  Rodriquez....classical Irish music, Peruvian & Bolivian  panpipe,  reggae, zouk and jing ping from the Caribbean.

  They're all good in their own way. None of these usually with harmonica  (which in American  English is more correctly called the "harp").  No marching bands though. No militaristic music of any kind.

  If you know of some great kinds of music with harp (harmonica) that you  can turn me on to, I'll be receptive to learning something new  (although I am truly an old dog) and thank you for it...
  regards,
  peacoatguy

Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
 wrote:

The harmonica was an uninspiring German  toy-instrument, toy, until
African-American descendants of slaves got  hold of it.

======Winslow:

How completey U.S.-centric this statement is. (No, I won't say America-
centric as the Americas include something like 20 nations and even more
distinct cultures).

Harmonica traditions have existed in a variety of cultures, some of
them quite sophisticated. Have you listened to enough of them that you
feel you can back up this sweeping pronouncement?

Winslow