[Harp-L] Butterfield Kudos & Greenland

I had the honor to meet Paul Butterfield a couple of times right before he
passed away.  It was difficult.  He is a hero of mine and it was obvious he was
not in the best shape.  Both situations were socially awkward.

I kept a respectful distance but will never forget being in the same room as he
because he was Paul Butterfield and in my mind, has to be mentioned when
Harmonica is mentioned.  He is a musical and cultural pioneer as well as
someone who broadened the instrument's possibilities and notoriety. In the
context of a diatonic harmonica playing "modern" popular music he demonstrated
I can attempt songs that had more than three chords, intricate rythms, and tone
that can trump any other instrument in the band.  His playing is as
inspirational and innovative to me today as it was when I first heard it.

Under the Blues/Rock and Roll umbrella, Little walter, Paul Butterfield, Magic
Dick each broadened and redefined the harmonica and its place in this art form.

On another topic: anybody out there living, working, soldiering in Greenland, of
all places?!?  I'm headed there for a USO tour this New Year's Eve!  We'll be
looking for any warmth we can find!

Have a great holiday season,

Clay Goldstien

--