[Harp-L] Butterfield

When I played a concert with John Sebastian, Jr. we got to talking about
Butterfield and John, Jr. said he wasn't just "a cat" he was "The Cat" and
here's from a guy who was around harmonicas from birth what with his Dad
and all.

When I first heard Butterfield I thought of him as the apex of power harp
playing.  He had a huge sound with great power, even more so in the low
register. He took over where the old time players left off and brought the
harmonica into that 60's rock, fusion, jam thing.

When he played Mojo, might be Woodstock, the 200,000 people, who were
barely singing along, simply explode after his solo. He had that kind of
effect live!

He defintely had an electric sound which was extremely exciting to listen
to and therefore should not be compared to acoustic players, apples and
oranges that, also given the type of equipment of the day.  None of this
take the third tube on your Silverface and replace it with this tube, then
run the sound through a Pod and use this mic with this echo, etc.  Stock
Marine Bands, stock amps and mics.

As for the playing, rhythmically exciting and it had never been done
before. I am sure there are guitar players saying, "i just don't get what
you see in Hendricks?" but remember you are looking after the fact, not
making up the whole genre as you go.

Harmonically yours,

Robert
bonfiglio

This message was sent using I-2000 Web Mail.
http://www.i-2000.com/