[Harp-L] RE:Paul Butterfield

Hello group,
 I would like to add my two cents to this Butterfield
thread. I saw many Butterfield gigs in the sixties and
my band ,"The Hallucinations(Peter Wolf,front man and
Steven Bladd drummer,both who became members of the
Jay Geils Band after we broke up) let the band use our
practise loft in Boston and we got to experience the
rehearsal of the East West Album and hang out with
them for a week. What was so different about Paul,
which I later realised, was his articulation. It was
very different from the classic blues players of the
time. It was definitly not Little Walter etc. This guy
played the harp with either trumpet,flute or sax
articulation. I had heard that he had played the flute
in his past. He was not a tongue blocker and really
approached the harmonica like a real articulated
instument and was a pioneer for his original approach
to the harp. The key word is pioneer. After the mile
was run in four minutes many people could do it,the
100th monkey theory. I was there and believe me no one
else approached the harp like he did.
Paul Shapiro
Santa Fe,NM

Just $16.99/mo. or less.