[Harp-L] "note slingers"

"note slingers"...
I like that!
Good 'un, 'Cane!

As to...
>Ken Burns :
>
>As I listened to his explination just before his jazz
>documentary staerted was that he put together this
>presentation for the general public ....... already I
>began thinking < LAME > .

I'm going to link this to the essence of this forum. I've always had a different take on the common classification, by 'whatever' uninformed source, of the harmonica as a "toy", or at least, a less than serious musical instrument that "anyone can learn to play." This always evokes a collective groan among harmonica aficionados. But, I say... "What does this misguided definition induce?" A general appeal to the masses, who long to make their own music, yet feel denied or restricted by lack of musical education, exposure to instruments or, quite often, money.

The result? The harmonica is quite conceivably the most popular musical instrument on the planet! Now, THAT is cool, in my book! And, I also think this is why harmonica conventions, festivals, clubs, etc., have such great camaraderie, because everyone there plays, has played, and most likely grew up knowing others who played, a harmonica... the truly ubiquitous, societally leveling musical instrument! From Gus to Famous!

And so, that's why Ken Burns is 'ok' by me in what he chose to do... Hey!
At least he admitted that was his intent instead of trying to snow us all into believing it was some major, comprehensive work, right? I'll wager that's why Hurricane "likes" him, because he does produce works that educate the general public, [if they're even willing to learn, remember!] and is candid about his methods and approach to his projects.

Being a common denominator is not necessarily a bad thing, and perhaps, more akin to an "asset" where harmonica is concerned.

I happen to like that! Consider how great it is to be a noted virtuoso on [stringed] harp, among so relatively few players, and then think how special it is being described as a virtuoso on harmonica [harp] among *millions* of players!! Ain't that a kick?!?!

To me, it is.
=[BOBBIE]=