[Harp-L] Better to have Loved and Lost...

My dear friends in harmonica,

Although this holiday season is turning out to be an awfully difficult one for me, having to face the agonizing loss of my partner, Douglas Tate, the spirit of these yearly observances based on thanksgiving, love and kindness toward one another entreats me to pay special attention to those good things which *have* actually given me some joy and peace thru the pain. Of special note, I am so very grateful to all of you who have expressed such heartfelt condolences; not just to me, but the harmonica world, which eventually became Doug's all-consuming passion, as anyone could tell spending just a few minutes near him over the last decade... and even more.

But, truly, the dozens of emails, cards and calls, in which so many of you have expressed your fervent sympathies to me, have touched my heart and helped me cope in ways you cannot imagine. And, I honestly plan to return the honor to each of you as soon as possible, as this same pain is obviously great in each of your lives as well; so, I thank you, but offer my condolences at your loss, too. Yet, surely, we are all thankful that, at least, Douglas apparently slipped away softly and gently as he slept.

I am so thankful for the journey, actually many, which Douglas chose to share with me, and how I wish that I, [both his romantic and Renaissance partner up until his illness,] had been able to share my farewells with him as others close to him were, or even the funeral or upcoming memorial service. Nonetheless, there has been one precious moment...

All of you have been made aware of the website devoted to Douglas and his health concerns, and by it, an mp3 of his playing, [the Renaissance, of course,] in a concert held last November. The day before the event, he emailed me and said, "I shall be playing a tune for you tomorrow. :)" I knew immediately which 'tune' he meant.

In April, 1996, when we first met in person at BHF, he dedicated one of his favorite numbers to me, called "My Lagan Love", telling me it was his piece for me, "now and always." There were several times after that in which he honored me with another instance of his pledge, even once in a chapel in England as I sat in a pew unaware he was about to play it.

"Always" came again as the final tune of those 3 pieces on the website's mp3 recording. As I listened and the surprise of "My Lagan Love" began playing... well, I just fell apart.

In his dire condition, I don't think he could have chosen a more perfect "Goodbye, Love."

If interested, the Traditional Irish tune has an fascinating history, and the best place I suggest to explore it is at my favorite Internet site for Folk and Traditional music, The Mudcat Cafe: http://www.mudcat.org/ There are several abbreviated versions and alterations to some words or lines, but here is the most complete set of lyrics I've found, [the 1st, 3rd and 4th are the ones most commonly performed,] thanks to the forums at Mudcat Cafe:

==========================
MY LAGAN LOVE
(lyrics by Joseph Campbell, aka Seosamh MacCathmhaoil)

(1)
Where Lagan stream sings lullaby
There blows a lily fair
The twilight gleam is in her eye
The night is on her hair
And like a love-sick lennan-shee
She has my heart in thrall
Nor life I owe nor liberty
For love is lord of all.

(2)
Her father sails a running-barge
'Twixt Leamh-beag and The Druim;
And on the lonely river-marge
She clears his hearth for him.
When she was only fairy-high
Her gentle mother died;
But dew-Love keeps her memory
Green on the Lagan side.

(3)
And often when the beetle's horn
Hath lulled the eve to sleep
I steal unto her shieling lorn
And thru the dooring peep.
There on the cricket's singing stone,
She spares the bogwood fire,
And hums in sad sweet undertone
The songs of heart's desire

(4)
Her welcome, like her love for me,
Is from her heart within:
Her warm kiss is felicity
That knows no taint of sin.
And, when I stir my foot to go,
'Tis leaving Love and light
To feel the wind of longing blow
From out the dark of night.

(5)
Where Lagan stream sings lullaby
There blows a lily fair
The twilight gleam is in her eye
The night is on her hair
And like a love-sick lennan-shee
She has my heart in thrall
Nor life I owe nor liberty
For love is lord of all.

From Songs of Man, Luboff and Stracke, (NY: Bonanza, 1965)
==========================

For questions about some of the Gaelic terms, consult the Mudcat Cafe forums, or ask me... I have some knowledge of many of them, having been so bound to this song.

Also, from the Mudcat Cafe forums, here is a link to a performance with vocals and harp... "string-type", that is! [How ironic.] I am about to post to the forum a REAL "harp" performance link! :)

https://www.smekkleysa.net/audio/full/Paul%20Oscar%20%26%20Monika%20Abendroth%20-%20My%20lagan%20love.mp3

BTW, Brendan Power does another beautiful harmonica rendition of this tune on his New Irish Harmonica CD. [Thanks, Brendan. ;)]

AND, thank you, Jack Ely, very dear friend to both Douglas and me, for bringing the two of us together at the Buckeye Fest in April, 1996. To change lives for good forever is truly a loving and an honorable deed.

Please have patience with me, my other friends, and I promise to extend my thoughts and thanks to you as I am able to find time. Until then...

Very best wishes to all for Joy, Peace,
Love and Music this holiday season,

Bobbie
Doug's Renaissance Partner