Re: [Harp-L] Re : Hendrik on Jazz

ALL jazz is is a more lively version of a current tune or a new tune which has ALREADY been configured to be 'spiced' up, made ostentatious, showy or energetic enough so as to invite dancing or getting with the beat (in general). It's no mystery sauce.
1.... colonial music (ala 'Barbara Allen').........not jazz
2.... civil war era (ala 'Silver threads among the Gold')........not jazz
(ala 'Pretty Redwing')....... 'could' be jazz
3.... late 1800s (minstrel music)...... 'could' be jazz
4.... turn of the century (Ragtime)...... jazz (traditional jazz)
5.... WWI era (waltzes, marches, gospel,blues)..... last 3 'can' be jazz
6.... tween the wars ....... jazz/hot music
7.... WWII to present...... jazz (progressive, contemporary, modern, bee-bop, re-bop, fusion, Latin

While NOLa is credited with the birth of this art form, it was actually the river boats that promoted it. Even Latin music (AND jazz) can be divided into Cuban (use of harmony horns and landing on sharps), Mexican (use of trumpets and landing on naturals), Brasillian (use of strings and landing on flats), Venezuelan/Columbian & Central American (landing on minors).

ciao ciao ragazzi