[Harp-L] Re : Hendrik on Jazz

Robert Bonfiglio sez :

Excerpt 's .

" the current practice might be a narrow definition, driven by Winton , and the market place . "

" The Burns documentary blew off all fusion, Wheather Report, Miles when he left Bebop, etc. "

Hurricane concurs & sez :

Robert :

I see the media blitz a very limited and tight focus on the music scene in general and espescially towards Blues & Jazz more than others . Thank God for the giant killer ,

< The Internet > .

What you mentioned about the current status quo in " what is considered Jazz " these days is too true . For what ever reason(s) the mainstream and blood of Jazz and Blues mass media chooses and leaves untouched and mostly ignored .

What is " Smooth Jazz " today was what " the Jazz Crusaders ripped up along with the whole bunch of  great younger guys who gravited to Miles Davis & Maynard Furguson  , personally I get kind of put out because what is called smooth Jazz  now over all is a watered down version of what Chick Correa & George Duke , Joe Sample & company ( Jazz Crusaders ) along with a super big list of others not mentioned now , were doing 30 years ago and now stands up to strongly today when stacked next to the many so called contempory note slingers ( Oh Shades of Kenny G ) , not to really put down any working musician first and for most , but as you , myself and many more who aren't brain dead yet know the difference betweeen chichen salad and the other ....... and it just pisses us off when real talent is passed over by radio & TV .

Ken Burns :

As I listened to his explination just before his jazz documentary staerted was that he put together this presentation for the general public ....... already I began thinking  < LAME > .

His aim was to give an " over view " towards the none musicly enducated masses so right away I knew it was more a short sighted over view " spectical " presentation from the get go and was sure I was not going to walk away from this documentary satisfied or inspired as I did with his take on the Civil War , so -- I guess you - me and everyone else will have to wait and hope that some day some one some how will present a film documentary that will over flow with information and insights into the main heart , soul , and blood of Jazz/Blues ( I see a very thin line distinguishing these genres ) and not water it down like what we witnessed in that piece of Ken Burns .

I like him really ( Ken Burns ) I do , but was left thinking  more or less like you amd many others on his take . Maybe we expected high hopes after the many great other documentarys he's done so far . In the final analysis , to be able to make a significant contribution to a filmed documentary like music , one must be a total musicologist and in one Ken Burns we find not that .

Ciao bello .

Sincerely :

H . R .

Aka :