[Harp-L] Re: PT Gazell New CD review

Swingin' Easy...Hittin' Hard  a new CD by  PT Gazell and The Side Effects

          There is always much controversy over what IS considered real Jazz and what is not.

   PT Gazell is not really a JAZZ player but he is playing standards on this record within a Jazz context. I know PT and he'd be the first one to tell you he ISN'T a 'Jazzer' but LOVES good simple "Swing".  So what does all this mean from a listeners point of view, it means we have a record that PT has appropriately titled.....no genres attached, just plain "to the point" Diatonic Harmonica interpreting some great standards within a small band jazz combo setting. Guitar, Vibes, Drums and Bass. PT is a superb player and brilliantly incorporates his years of playing with love for 'Swing' music.

            I should preface all this with saying that I was first introduced to PT Gazell's music a few decades ago on a debut album called "Pace Yourself". A Harmonica instrumental album of classic Bluegrass songs played by some of Nashville finest players. At the time is was virtually unheard of to use a Harmonica as a lead on this style of music, but PT had bigger ears and shocked a whole lot of people by his approach on that record. For anyone interested, that album WAS transferred to CD and is available with this NEW CD at the links I've listed below.

          From a Harmonica Player's standpoint this new album covers some uncharted territory, PT is not using the Howard Levy style of 'Overblow' technique, but rather a regular diatonic harmonica that is 'half valved'. The valved technique allows him to execute the songs without switching harps. (certain reeds are fitted with a plastic wind valve similar to the valves on a chromatic harmonica.)

           What I dig most about PT is that he approaches his instrument as a MUSICIAN first and secondly as a harmonica player. In doing so he completely frees himself from all the "predictable harmonica" clichés that we've all come to know too well. Most impressive for me is PT's tasty "Phrasing" that really assists in the swinging...but even cooler is the diverse and unique repertoire he has chosen for the CD. His Musicianship as well as his song choices are impeccable.

It's refreshing to hear great innovators on our instrument and PT always delivers, hopefully this will inspire other harp players to take chances and seek out material that works well on Diatonic. A must have for all serious players!

Where to Find PT Gazell's music

http://www.ptgazell.com/

http://www.cdbaby.com/all/gazell

The Tunes:

1) Just You, Just Me - Reminds me of the late 50's early 60's combo, The Joe Mooney quintet and of course the 'lightness' of the early Nat king Cole sides. This opener is a stellar example of PT's 'round' tone and perfect intonation...it's a cool listen~!

2) The Thumb - is a tune I knew, but would have NEVER thought to try it on harmonica! It works great! A classic Wes Montgomery tune that definitely SWINGS EASY and Hits HARD as PT forewarns in his title. His phrasing here is Trumpet like and VERY UN-diatonic sounding. Smooth triplets and interval leaps are NO stranger to PT's unique approach.

3) Panhandle Rag - is a catchy lil' melody, sort of a Texas Swing ala Bob Wills meets Charlie Christian at a Benny Goodman Jam! His interval jumps here are flawless and they never LOSE the groove. There's some real fun interplay of 'trading fours' between PT and Andy (the Guitarist) who swings with total grace, ease and coolness...I love the unresolved ending....very cool,-)

4) What is There to Say - is a not often recorded ballad and I have to wonder what KIND of record collection PT has....seems pretty eclectic to say the least. On this song you can hear PT paying tribute to not only all the great JAZZ soloist he digs, but one of his harp mentors: Charlie McCoy......aside from PT and Charlie there are probably just a handful of others that could execute this type of ballad on the Diatonic Harp with simpleness, beauty and finesse.

5) If I Were a Bell - a classic standard by Frank Loesser...this is a nice 'Bluesy' take on one of those standards that musicians have FUN blowing over...they just don't write 'em like this anymore.

 6) How High the Moon - If Little Walter were alive, I bet he'd really dig how "brave" PT was to tackle this tune which really moves around alot for standard 'cross-harp' approach. PT plays this song on ONE harp and it sets up the Melody with cool jazz phrasing that really works. I did have some initial reservations at 1st listen with some of the soloing over with these chord changes, but realized it's more about groove and swing that make this tune work..the ending is TOTALLY sweet...nice arrangement!!!

7) No Not Much - a 2 beat ballad with some REAL tuff bends but PT nails them! The valved approach really gives it a chromatic 'Lilt' thru out the tune. The Instrumentation as I mentioned earlier; Vibes, Bass, Drums, Guitar really are sweet in that they let the Harmonica "Breathe" and fill in at all the perfect spots.

8) Midnight in Amarillo - is another Bob Wills sounding Country Swing feel, but it really has a texture on the LOW keyed Diatonic used here...PT is really workin' hard on those LONG reeds,-)

9) September Song - Now this is the ONLY tune where I missed the 'lush' Sinatra type of arrangement that we are so used to hearing on this song. But regardless, PT's playing is flawless and totally inspired. The Ballad breaks into a Swing on the bridge and then continues as PT starts some brilliant tasty and subtle solos.

10) Robbin's Nest - Yes, The old Illinois Jacquet classic ala 'little big band' effect which utilizes the coolest Harp, Guitar and Vibes melody lines. The 'Head' or melody of this instrumental really JUMPS and this is the PERFECT way to end this swingin' journey...hats off to Mr. Gazell he's done it again,-))))!!!