RE: [Harp-L] Re: Harp Jam Mic Sharing?

Jonathan Metts writes:
> The last time I got to see Jason Ricci play, he let me play on
> his wireless mic during a jazz jam after the show.  The only
> thing I caught from it was inspiration!

Hey Jonathan, I don't need to even get close to JR to "catch" inspiration
from him.  In fact all I have to do is ~think~ about him!  Amaaazing,
period.   8^)

> In all seriousness, microbes don't live very long on metal
> surfaces, so I doubt microphones are dangerous carriers of
> disease.  Sharing harps is more dangerous, particularly for ones
> with porous wood combs.

I'd be far more concerned about viral than microbial infections myself.
Many virii ~can~ "live" or let's say "remain active" a long time under a
variety of inhospitable conditions, including metal, plastic, and wood
surfaces.  The list of viral infections you can catch is a very long and
frightening one.  Herpes is scary enough and it's one of the more "innocent"
viral infections.  Once you get it, you don't get rid of it.  Cupping a mic'
close against your face with your hands right after a total stranger has
done the same seems to me to be asking for trouble for a number of
reasons--many of which have already been state--but they are, to me,
overridden by health concerns.  You are a young fella, Jonathan, and you may
choose to live closer to the line than I do at my advanced age.  I know did
when I was young.  At my age, I've learned that enough trouble seeks me out
without inviting any.  ;)

One other thing, Jonathan, just a humble and friendly nudge if you will.
You are not only young, but obviously brilliant in your chosen field.  You
have demonstrated on this list that your word inside your expertise is
golden.  I'm sure I'm one of many harp-l'ers who have frequently been
impressed with your list contributions.  I join them in saying, keep 'em
coming!  The thing is that I'm afraid that some list members might read the
kind of health or biological advice you offer above with the same faith that
they would attach to your contributions about engineering, especially when
you state it so matter of factly.  I'd be more comfortable myself if you'd
qualify your health and biological opinions as what they are unless you have
special training in that area.  If that's the case, I'm even more impressed
than before.  :)

Thanks,

Michelle