[Harp-L] jazz vs blues psychedelia

Wikipedia defines jazz fusion thusly:
Jazz fusion (sometimes referred to simply as fusion) is a musical genre that
loosely encompasses the merging of jazz with other styles, particularly rock,
funk, R&B, and world music. It basically involved jazz musicians mixing the
forms and techniques of jazz with the electric instruments of rock, and
rhythmic structure from African-American popular music, both "soul" and "rhythm
and blues".

I wouldn't classify East West as blues--too long, doesn't have the standard
chord changes, even though it's played by blues musicians. is it jazz?
In East West we certainly have an R&B rhythm from the great Billy Davenport and
Jerome Arnold. Davenport was an experienced jazz drummer. There are indeed rock
instruments and world music influences.There are extended modal improvisations.
And of course Cannonball Adderly was a forerunner of the later fusion style.
Still, Davenport is the only actual jazz musican so this is probably more jazzy
psychedelia than psychedelic jazz.

So I shoud say Paul Butterfield (like Little Walter) was successful at bringing
a jazz sensibility to diatonic harp rather than being a jazz harmonica player.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm