Re: [Harp-L] re: jazz on a diatonic

The "it's not a fully realised artistic concept" comment bothers me.

What bothers me is being repeatedly quoted out of context. My statement quoted above is qualified later in the paragraph by,

If Butterfield was really truly playing what he heard in his head then never mind

Meaning if that's what he intended to do then never mind. If it's what he could do because of the limitations of the diatonic harmonica and the current state of technique then artistically it couldn't be a fully realised concept. I made no bones about *not* knowing what was in Paul Butterfields head when he made this recording. My post referenced a previous post in which Rainbow Jimmy used the Butterfield recording as an example of jazz played convincingly on a standard diatonic harmonica. I pointed out the problem with that one missing note. That's not a matter of opinion, why it's missing and if it's critical is a matter of opinion. Going even further back I'm actually referencing a comment made by Smokey Joe regarding his opinion that it doesn't work if you can't play all of the notes. fjm