Re: [Harp-L] re: Smo-Joe & Richard hunters comments ('jazz' & 'distortion')

On Dec 4, 2005, at 12:12 PM, Roscoharp@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hey list,
I read this post soon after reading Smo-Joes post about not liking the sound
of some, I assume, electric harp styles. It all goes to the same idea, &
reminds me of the "Popper" threads. If you don't like a style of music,
literature, film, whatever... no problem. Don't listen, read, or watch.

This is correct, but I would add that if you alter too much, you loose some of your fan base. I am in total agreement that a person should play anything they want. I was merely giving an example of why a fan base 'might' dwindle. I never purported to be correct. Being open minded, I will, of course, re-think the whole enchilada. I'm big that way :)

These things
can be fun to argue about, but there is no right or wrong. Richard writes
that "jazz is a big tent" & I think that that is undeniable. I would also say
"harmonica music is a big tent." Bill Barrett, Steve Guyger, Howard Levy &
Chris Michalek all have different sounds & play different styles (in multiple
genres), but they are all great to my ears.

Of the 4 there's only one that isn't my cup of tea.......no, you have to guess

Smo Joe writes: "Excuse me J.R. and I don't want to cause a fuss, but yes
you do. I'm speaking of this over muffling and distorting deal. A little is ok, but
some people play TOTALLY distorted. If a person wants distortion, get a
toy tuba and blow it into a metal waste paper can."

You know, I might really dig that toy tuba thing! Smo-joe might not......&
he doesn't have to.

Actually, I laughed as I wrote it because I used to play trumpet into one (filled with towels)

Again, I can't say there is a right or wrong opinion.
As for one of Richard's points, I used to be a snob about altered tunings. I
was being dumb & close-minded. Listening to Barrett (my favorite 'jazz'
chro player)

Well, I WASN't being close minded. I am too stupid to keep the different tunings straight, so I don't mess with em (same as Calculus). btw: we agree on Bill Barrett , he's the cat's a$$

,  or P.T.Gazell, amongst others using altered  harp set-ups, I don't
care how they make their music. I just enjoy it  immensly.

Me too, but neither of these gentlemen is playing such a bizzare style that you CAN't enjoy them. btw, every time I go to a fest I am able to find one person (per year) who sticks out. YOU made the list.

arriverderci america...........sj

Later, Rosco

--- [This E-mail scanned for viruses by EWOL using Declude Virus]