Re: [Harp-L] What do you do when you practice

Subject: [Harp-L] What do you do when you practice
From: "Mark Wilson" <markwilson53@xxxxxxx>

Looking for some new ideas to fire up my practice sessions. Anyone out
there following a routine that's helping with mindless improvisation?
Mark

Hi Mark,
I love riding my bike everyday to work and back while playing my harp.
You could say I have acquired the skill of a unicyclist...I can ride
no hands so I get to play harmonica!

I have noticed that the air comes through my harp and wraps around my
head and ears thus having an amplified effect so that on a good day
its almost like I'm wearing head phones listening to my own music -
even more so when going down hills. This is just a novel occurence and
not a set practice situation. I've had heads turn too as I maybe the
only the guy people see doing this. Many a time I've had encouragement
from drivers parked at street lights. I often practice my train solos
while biking. Hmmm, maybe I could take a cap and do a bit of busking
while I'm at it, ha ha.

Another thing I absolutely love is coming across a good sounding stair
well, room, or toilet, yip thats right toilet, for playing harp in.
You see, as a teenager when I first picked up a harp, I was walking
and on the streets alot so I got to duck into and under things, such
as bridges, alleyways, into shop entrances, etc to check out how
things sounded. I always carry at least one harp around with me now
and will pull it out when I feel the my surroundings may have an
effect on the harps sound.

Take the other day for example, heres where the toilet comes into it,
I was at my kids athletics practice. One needed to got to the toilet
so off we went. The toilet was a very flash one, heck it didn't even
smell off, you know the kind that gives you the impression you're in a
hotel or something. Anyways out comes my harp and boy did it sound
rich. The room had the most amazing, whatever you call it, sound.
Awesome sound. I'll be keen to take any of my kids to that toilet, ha
ha.

Some stair wells in underground car parks and the car parks themselves
sound good too. I have found that standing in my room or kitchen can
get a bit stale. Going out to somewhere new has me often feeling
excited and invigorated. I love to hear harmonica around on the
streets like while approaching an allyway etc. I don't hear it often
enough. Street stuff, I love it.

Cheers,
Nate