Fwd: [Harp-L] bending on a solo tuned harp & Vermont harp group?

 Hi Clair,

A solo tuned diatonic is going to be like playing a chrom without using the
slide.

You can't really bend enough to get sharps and flats - just a little for
expression.  All you'll have is the diatonic major scale, and no great
bending capabilities like you would have on a blues harp.

I have a Hering Master Solo (that's a solo diatonic), and it's not a bad
harp.  It is valved like a chrom on the lower end.

If you read music, and are thinking of going the direction of the chrom, I
would think you might just want to save up for a chrom.  I say this because
you may, after buying a solo tuned 10-hole, be wanting to upgrade to a full
chrom shortly.

I have a Hering 10 hole chrom that was a reasonable price (maybe the cost of
2 solo tuned diatonics) and holds up pretty well.  But I just mention that
one because it's a little less costly.

That's my opinion, based on my experiences.  I'm sure you'll get plenty of
other good advice here.