[Harp-L] Subject: Review: Jason Ricci & New Blood at Terra Blues 12/1

Finally got to meet Garry Hodgson.  Jason introduced us.  I had  spotted
Garry's rigged up mics...but Terra's very dark and I couldn't read his  cap from
my location <G>

The place was packed...audience very receptive as JRNB began.   I  was blown
away.  Honestly? I had expected more of the same terrific stuff  I'd already
heard at previous shows.  After all, how does one improve on  one's best?
Well, somehow Jason Ricci managed to do just that last  night. His voice sounded
better than I've heard him before, let alone his  always phenomenal harp
playing.   Shawn Starsky's guitar was  on fire as well...there's a symbiosis between
those two that would lose some  of the magic apart.  I hope that particular
musical collaboration  never ends....it's a wonder to behold.  Steve Johnson is
the perfect  drummer for New Blood and the latest addition of Todd Edmunds
brought (in my  humble opinion) a whole new dynamic to their sound I hadn't
picked up with any  of the temps they've used since Slim Louis' retirement.  Todd
seems to  really "get" where Jason is going.  Jason did a few of his
"standards"...but told some new stories (to me at least) this time.  I very  much
enjoyed his David/Junior Kimbrough tale.  Late in the evening he  performed one
absolutely gorgeous harp/guitar number with Shawn that had me on  my feet and
close to tears it was so beautiful.  He credited Shawn with  having written it.
Didn't get the name of the piece.  Hopefully Garry  will have more
information.

When/if Garry has last night's show available as a download,  this will
undoubtedly become one of my favorite Jason Ricci & New Blood  shows.  Now I just
wish it'd been officially taped for a Live  CD.  Another incredibly satisfying
harp evening.

Elizabeth