Re: [Harp-L] Jason R

Yes, he came to Springfield, Illinois this week (where I reside) for the second time.  I had first met him in Dallas at Spah when he joined the jam circle.  His energy is boundless and his style unique - both on and off stage.

If you had seen him walking around the hotel in Dallas 2 years ago, you would have seen the relentlessness with which he practices those short riffs and repetitive 3- and 4-note excercises, that, when played together, can form the basis for some pretty intense solos.

Without the electronics that he brings to the Blues Club stage, he is a very able acoustic player as well.  He brought a lot of new flavor to the jam circles that year.

His whole band was pretty hot both times he came to Springfield and they have certainly become a favorite.  He had a New Orleans bassplayer with him this time that I really enjoyed.  Last year when he visited Springfield, he brought another SPAH member with him (his name escapes me now - Michael, I think) who played a great blues harp himself and also played Sax.

Mark Russillo
a.k.a. The Rhode Island Kid

Richard Kraus <richard.kraus3@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Caught Jason last night at Mexicali Blues (I was
wearing a hooded sweatshirt and standing in
the back).

I've seen him now at Terra, Trumpets and Mexicali.
Very good each time.

His style is not what would be my favorite for listening
to, but that's just a matter of taste. His harp work is
amazing. I actually enjoyed him the most at Trumpets,
where he was not with his own band and played a more
subdued, nuanced style, with some fun bluesy numbers.
No one works any harder on stage (he oughta quit the
smoking though, that can't be good long term for his harp
work).

His guitarist is quite good too.

Rich K