Re: [Harp-L] $10 for a Chromatic?..now ebay harps

One thing that has served me well for old pre war chro's with cracked comb's is a replacement
lucite comb from Bill Romel. I have 2 that Bill made combs for and they play and look great. With
the lucite comb you dont have to worry about what has soaked into the wood or any mold or spores
hanging out. Obviously you would still want to soak the plates, mouthpiece and covers.

Scott

Since we are on the subject of ebay harps it might be wise to start asking
sellers about the condition of the harps, esp. wood combs and where they came into
possession of the harps. (All preused harps should be sanitized by the buyer before playing them).

Considering all the flooding that has occured in the US this past couple of months there
will be a good chance of flood items, including harps finding their way on internet auction sites.

I see a fair share of chromes in the shop that have had some sort of water damage, not necessarily caused by
Gulf Coast flooding. Some appear to have been hit by basement flooding and left to sit for a long time.

Some good questions to ask the sellers is how they came in contact with the harp.
Where are they located?
Is the comb cracked? Was the harp exposed to any type of water damage?
Does the harp smell of mildew or mold?
Are they the original owner?

Two chromes are in my shop now. One had black mold inside the comb, the other was
in flood waters in New York state. Both had to be completely rebuilt.

Be wise, beware, be well

mike