[Harp-L] Minor tuned harps (was: RE: revised question)

are minor keyed harps useful?

Yeah. Use them when you want to play minor keyed songs. :-). If you don't then you don't need them. You can also play many minor keyed songs in third position.

For the sake of clarity, I'll keep this to thoughts about playing minor tunes in second position (cross harp). You can certainly play minor tunes in cross on a standard diatonic harp, I do it all the time (try "House of the Rising Sun," "St. James Infirmary," etc.). However, you are limited in your approach because you can't get fat chords -- and THIS is what minor-tuned harps allow. So are they "useful?" Sure, I think so. Necessary? Depends on your approach, really. As they say, different strokes for different folks. Best bet is to buy one and try it out. Just might open up some musical ideas that you hadn't thought of before. If I had the jack, I'd get complete sets of harps in all kinds of funky tunings! (Hey, Santa, you listening!?)
MN

PS: Clearly, Bob is right about playing many minor songs in third position.