Re: [Harp-L] Cleaning diatonic reed plates

Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 11:44:53 +1300
From: Huffa Puffa <huffa.puffa@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Cleaning diatonic reed plates
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
> I'll try the baking soda tonight, I've heard that using denture
> cleaner can work too.
> Cheers.

  The denture cleaner does loosen muck off reasonably well, and is good for
plastic or metal comb diatonics.  I used to do 4 to 6 at a time in a big
pot with one tablet for 20 mins or more.
Rinse thoroughly under the tap to clean out the muck.
  The one gotchya with denture tablets is they discolour brass.
  Not good for wood comb harps, for one you'd be soaking them in water.
-- G.
PS. Also plays havoc with chromatic valves. More here
http://go.to/harpon/maintclean.html