[Harp-L] love/hate those 365's

The Marine Band 365/SBS series are becoming my
favourite harp. Lovely tone, loud and responsive when
set up. I don't mind the wider hole spacing either.

What I do mind is the larger overall size; my small
hands can barely handle a 10 hole :) Also, the limited
keys available means a big retune if I want one in
say, Bb. Okay, I'll deal with the latter but I have an
idea for the former that I'd like some feedback on.

I'm wondering if it's possible to basically chop off
the ends of the harp; cut the comb so as to remove the
flat tabs on the coverplate. I'd drill through the top
of the coverplates to secure them. This would leave a
harp with coverplates running its full length, akin to
the promaster.

Would there be enough of the comb left between its new
termination and the first chamber to drill the new
coverplate holes? Would it be airtight enough? Anyone
tried?

P.S. Anyone know a source for those rare Low G and Low
A SBS harps. Norm Ives doesn't have them anymore and I
didn't hear of their existence till it was too late.

Paul