Re: [Harp-L] Music recovery from a minidisk

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:49:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Phillip Franklin <pbf@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Music recovery from a minidisk

>I made a big mistake, not allowing my minidisk
>recorder to write the table of contents on a disk.  I
>know there's a great performance on the disk, but the
>minidisk player doesn't know where it is.
>
>Any advice on how I can recover the lost music is very
>much appreciated.  I've searched the web, but found
>only two places that advertised this type of service.
>One listed $400-$800 as their price, and the other is
>in the UK.  8<
>Again, thanks for any helpful ideas!
>
>-Phil in KC

Hi Phil,
  http://www.minidisc.org/ is a fantastic resource.  I looked up their Q&A
section, and found you can do this for yourself.   It involves getting
another disc you don't need, recording silence for the entire length (using
the same mode, eg LP2) of the disc.  From there the TOC of that disc can be
replicated onto your damaged disc by using service mode of a MD recorder.

  Theres a reference to it here:
http://www.minidiscussion.com/boards/repair/index.cgi?read=1616
  There are sections on using service modes which get more specific about
your model of MDR, and I assume theres a step by step list of instructions
on the Q&A discussion list, or somewhere on the minidisc community site.
 Following their instructions I've used service mode to gain functions my
MZR-500 doesn't normally have which has been useful.  You do have to take
care, but it works.
-- G.