Re: [Harp-L] Open Jams

There are a number of successful jams here in Cincy, and they usually
follow the same structure:

There's a "House Band" that hosts the show. This is almost always a
respected band around town.  This helps, as the players that come to jam
will defer to the decisions made by the frontman. The frontman's job is
to read the names of those playing next off of the sign up list - in the
order of signing up. Usually the host puts together a "band" of jammers
- so he calls up the next drummer, bassist, harp player, guitarist (or
2) and vocalist. Then it's up to this newly formed "band" to play for 3
songs only. What they play is up to them, though there is a citywide "no
Mustang Sally" rule for Blues Jams. Don't worry, there's plenty of other
cliche's...I mean, classics.

A good host will honor the order of the list - with some discretion, of
course. I was visiting my hometown of Rochester, NY about a year ago and
decided to go to the jam there. I got there early, and was about # 4 on
the list (the first harp player).  Well, the host basically called up
who he knew and wanted when he wanted, and three hours later I still
hadn't played. Maybe he didn't like harp players, though I was the
fourth to play, and maybe it's just that I was an unknown.  I still
think it's a crappy way of running a Jam.

Oh, in our jams here in Cincy, usually the host band plays for about a
half hour before the "jam" portion of the evening begins.  Our two best
house bands, Dick and the Roadmasters and Them Bones, have this down to
a science after a number of years of doing it.  They do a great job of
making the jammers, regardless of ability, feel welcome and appreciated,
and they always encourage you to come back.  They also run a tight ship.

As I play mostly acoustically these days, I go to the jams to get my
electric fix.  Aaaahhhh, a rhythm section! Many local pros go to the
jams just for a chance to play with each other. It's always a nice mix
of styles and ability, and, unfortunately, a jam is about the only place
you'll see a packed house for a blues band in this town.

 - Blake

>>> <icemanle@xxxxxxx> 08/24/05 9:41 AM >>>
If the jam is getting so crowded that people are truly lined up out the
door, consider making it a "members only" jam. This will boost
membership and alleviate some of the overcrowding.

Also, whoever is running the jam has to have a crylstal clear vision and
the personal power to enforce the rules, not letting the jammers run the
jam. Sign up sheet is usually one of the more important aspects. Whoever
signs up earlier gets to play sooner.

The Iceman