[Harp-L] Re: CFD

>Hi, Jonathan -
>
>Thanks for the speedy reply!
>
>I wouldn't have even broached the topic if I didn't have a degree in applied mathematics.  My expertise is really in digital >image processing, but I've dabbled in FEA through my research in blood flow through coronary arteries (those supplying >the heart muscle with blood).  Back then I reconstructed a wireframe model of the inner wall of an artery using a sequence >of ultrasound images.  I was at the point of applying FEA to calculate the blood flowing through the model when I had a >career shift. That was in the late eighties.
>
>So, I do appreciate what sort of preparation one must have to even appreciate the concepts involved in computational >fluid dynamics.  I suppose I was hoping that available software technology would permit someone with somewhat less >than a Ph.D. in ME or AE to use it.  Moreover, I admit to doing a little fishing, hoping to entice you to look into the >possbilities.  ;^)
>
>Can't blame a gal for trying, eh?  It is an intriguing problem, you must admit.
>
>Thanks and best of luck in your studies,
>
>Michelle

Ah, you are much more qualified to look into the problem than you let on, I see.  If you have experience with FEA, you might find it worthwhile to expand into CFD, but it's still going to be a lot of work.  My undestanding is that FEA and CFD are methodically similar, but FEA models relatively static structures while CFD models highly dynamic fluids.  The modeling programs are probably very similar for both, but in order to set up the CFD problem you want, you'll need to gain a thorough understanding of fundamental aerodynamics and the highly advanced Euler equations, which CFD analysis is based upon.  Most people would also have to learn lot about numerical and computational integration, but you seem to have that part already taken care of.  :-)  Best wishes if you do approach this problem, and I will try to do my part in convincing my fellow students who are much braver than myself in their willingness to study CFD.

Jonathan Metts