[Harp-L] Re: impact players/Norton Buffalo

In December, 2003, I wrote this on HarpTalk in answer to a question
about this solo:

The "Runaway" solo is a series of eight 2nd position licks using four
harps, not just one... I believe it's F, Eb, Db, and C harps in that
order, then "essentially" repeated, but with the individualized
ornaments and the final note run up at the end, etc.

He spoke with me about it at SPAH [as I'd brought my copy of Bonnie
Raitt's Sweet Forgiveness LP with me for him to autograph - the only
one on it! ;)] and he told again how he was sick as a dog that day
and hardly in any mood to go into the studio.  But he did, and did it
in one take, too, as I recall.  But only after he had repeatedly
rejected the way the producers were trying to get it done.  Finally,
he just basically said, "Look, I have an idea what might work; let me
just go for it and see what happens."  Voila! "Runaway"!!

In the jacket of my copy of Bonnie Raitt's "Sweet Forgiveness" LP with
"Runaway" on it, I keep a copy of this [below] edited version of a post
sent to Harp-L years ago by a fellow named Stew Crossen who interviewed
Norton about this solo.  No clue what Stew is doing these days, but he
was a DJ in Connecticut for awhile with a Sunday Night Blues show online,
and did various interviews.  I suppose maybe this was one of them...
Enjoy the info!

=[BOBBIE]=