[Harp-L] Mark, JD & The Meteor

I'm writing this to explain what Mike and I heard out of the Meteor in the hopes that it will clarify matters. What follows are my observations and opinions of musicians and gear, and is not intended as any sort of harsh criticism or attack of anyone or any particular piece of equipment.

So... we saw Hummel perform a few months ago as he made his way through the Pac. NW. I was particularly interested in hearing him play through the Meteor, as I heard he was touring with it, and had heard some positive comments about it from some players whom I highly regard.

Well, as Mark cranked up... I didn't hear anything special. Neither did my harp playing buddy. After the first few numbers, we both looked at each other at the same time, with quizzical looks on our faces, and thought... "What? This is the Meteor?"

Then, as the night wore on, it became clear to me that perhaps it was the man, and not the machine, that was lacking. Mr. Hummel's sound seemed lifeless, as he passed seamlessly and with little drama from one well-rehearsed riff to another in a workman-like manner. And that was part of the problem, I think.

Mark is a great guy. He has great knowledge and control of the instrument, make no mistake. But on this night, it just seemed his expression lacked soul, depth, emotion. He was just pumping away. And his tone was one-dimensional, lacking any sparkle or punch. Instead, it was dull and flat. It was the combination of these factors that left the Meteor idling. And then I remembered that it was for these reasons that I hadn't seen him in about 7 years. For it was that long ago that I had last seen him in So. Cal. playing through a Sonny Jr. 2, and my opinion of his playing was the same then, as I began to remember.

Just my opinion, folks.

Here's the interesting part. After the break, Hummel introduces Johnny Dyer. He was another reason I wanted to attend that night. Never seen him live. Johnny picks up Mark's mic, doesn't change a thing on the amp, and begins to blow. Simple, sparse playing. Huge tone. Laying down everything where it needs to be. Dripping with soul. And the amp sounds pretty darn good now. It's breathing. It's pumping. It has tonal range. Dryer wasn't really pushing it, or exploring it, but it sounded downright good. Much better than when Hummel was on it. I can't imagine what it would sound like if the person behind the mic was really working with the amp. And i don't mean just flooring it, but working with it, to introduce dynamics within the amp by way of technique and resonance.

My point is... I guess I'll never know until I get to run through one myself, under gig conditions.

Don't know when that will be, but that's the only way I can make an accurate assessment of the Meteor.

One last thing... not all of us are gear experts. But most of us know what we like when we hear it, and know, in our heads, what we want to hear from ourselves. Most of us know our own tone. So, in that regard, we're experts when it comes to ourselves and our own unique tone and our choice of gear in conjunction with that. And I hope I never buy any piece of gear for it's return investment "sometime down the road". Man, it ain't about that at all.

Hope I've made sense. Hope I haven't hurt anyone's feelings. You don't have to like my comments or my playing. Not everyone will, that's okay.

Ray.
--
My Music – www.resgraphics.com/music