From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Chris Michalek
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 2:50 PM
To: zrkovacs@xxxxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] very simple questions

Simply because you are slowing the vibrations of the reed thus making it
activate at a lower pitch.  I've been trying to do the opposite make the
reed vibrate faster) but have been unsuccessful thus far. If you want to
try, I've been thinking of individual reeds and trying to adjust with my
breath the begining vibration point. The closer towards the rivet end
the lower the pitch, the closer the point is to the free reed end the
high the pitch.  I'm sure it's possible but I just need to be able to
fugure it out. Think of a trombone and it's slide.  To me, it's the same
principle.

>>In other words, why cant I blow bend UP on eg. hole
>>number 1 on a standard blues harmonica? All I can do
>>is "overblow", but not BEND in the same manner as draw
>>bends work. It must have an aerodinamic, or at least
>>physical reason.
>>Perhaps Mr.Antaki could answer me this question. I
>>dont know if any research has been done on this topic.
>>There must be a reason, why bending can only be done
>>"towards" the lower sounding reed.
>>
>>thanks
>>Zombor

Chris Michalek