Re: [Harp-L] Doug Randell

Hi All,

I can't say how shocked and saddend I am about the news of Doug Randell's passing. Doug was a tremendous human being. Of the hundreds of wonderful people I have met through various harmonica organizations he still stood out.

Doug is mainly known for his diatonic playing. However, it might not be known that Doug was a veteran of harmonica bands from his very early days. He played chromatic equally as well as diatonic and was familiar with all of the great harmonica arrangements. He would never cease to amaze me by pulling out intricate melodies and passages on his chromatic for me.

Doug's knowledge of the harmonica world was extensive. He took pains over the years to meet and get to know all of the players that crossed his path. He got all the recordings and learned as many of the tunes as possible. He was both a well known player in Chicago and a frequent visitor to support other harmonica players. He was a good friend to all.

I don't know if there are any recordings of Doug's playing, but there should be. This is a tragic loss to us all. I will cherish his memory.

Michael Polesky