Re: [Harp-L] overblow begging a question: pronouns ain't our friends

In this dangerous context I'm going to mention that "begging the question" is a logical fallacy that involves assuming that the thing you're trying to prove is true and then using that assumption to prove it." Mr. Shepherd, my high school geometry teacher, probably wouldn't be proud of me, but he might be mildly satisfied.

I don't know if he was a diatonic or chromatic guy. I suspect the latter.

Dave R. Fertig wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen, permit me to suggest, in seeking to communicate with precision and without offense, the following rule:

"Pronouns are not our friend."

Yeah, it's poor writing style to eschew pronouns, but doing so provides unambiguous clarity in a chaotic email environment. He, him, they, her, she and good ol' it, ain't nothin' at all and all too often the wrong thing, all at the same time. Even among friends and lovers.

And all of us are at least friends here at Harp-L, even though our human tendency to err and miscommunicate often blurs that truth.

So *#@% all y'all!! And I mean that in the most positive construction possible. To you and her and him and the other one too.

Love,

Dave Fertig

(please note - and disregard - the deleted string of previous emails) _______________________________________________