Re: Re: [Harp-L] First position blues

Michael Fugazzi wrote:
> What I meant in my post was I would be playing a 12
> bar in G. I would start the song from cross (playing a
> C harp in the key of G), play in first over the C
> chord, and then I would play in third over the V.
>
> Any riffs or ideas for playing over the IV chord
> (first position)?

My mistake, I misunderstood the question.

You are right that playing over the IV chord is essentially playing
first position, since the IV chord is the root note of the second
position harp (e.g., C on a C harp).  There are many times
variations in the IV chord that might suggest a mode change, but the
scale notes are readily available as blow notes (1, 3, 5 and
repeated through three octaves from 1 blow up through 10 blow).  The
flat 7th which is often used in blues is an overblow on 6, or a half
step bend on 3 draw.  So if you stick with the blow notes over the
IV you should be safe anywhere!

-tim