Re: Re: [Harp-L] First position blues

It seems to be mostly a semantic debate about what positions you are
actually playing in when playing over the changes in a song.  For
me, personally, it's easiest to think about the scale notes for the
chord superimposed on whatever harp you've selected.

In the most common cross harp approach, you would be playing, say, a
C harp against a I-IV-V in G, which changes through G (I), C (IV)
and D (V).  In my simple world, this means playing G mixolydian
scale notes on a C harp over the I chord, C mixolydian scale notes
over the IV chord, and D mixolydian scale notes over the V chord.

In a typical 1st position approach, you would be playing a C harp
against a I-IV-V in C, which changes through C (I), F (IV) and G
(V).  Playing F scale notes on a C harp is 12th position.

In practice, you really only need to *resolve* a riff or lick or
melody line on a component note (usually the 1, 3, or 5) of the
chord (if even that), and what happens in between is pretty open.
This is a way of thinking about it that's helpful to me.

-tim

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mark Wilson"