Re: [Harp-L] Re: overblow begginner question

Ron, etc...

See, this is one of the reasons I'm so glad I found this list (Member
since December).  I'm in almost the exact same situation, so here's my
long "Yeah, me too!" post....

I played harp in a vacuum from the time I was in high school in the late
'80s to about late 2003.  I started gigging in the early '90s and have
played pretty consistently, for fun money, since then.  However, when I
say I was in a vacuum I mean I only listened to the same handful of
players my whole life up until then - Butterfield, Cotton, Musselwhite,
SBII, Terry, Popper.   What's that you say?  No Walters? Yup. No
Walters. I had them both on a compilation cd, but since I didn't like
"Juke" particularly, I didn't pursue LW at all.   I know, I can hear a
collective groan.... I just wasn't that curious. I liked who I liked,
and I tried to emulate them in my playing while developing my own style.
 I thought pretty much about myself as a player......misguidedly.....and
even blues folks here in town reinforced this misguided notion.

Just to make clear - I was totally self taught.  I knew nothing of
tongueblocking, effective mic cupping, or overblows. Wasn't even on my
radar.

However, since joining Harptalk in '03, and then this list (per Jason
R's suggestion), I've discovered and incorporated all of these essential
things into my technique (I still only dare use OB6 in a live setting),
and I'm almost embarassed about my playing on my recordings and on my
website, as it all predates all the above skills.

I'm still self taught, with the exception of Mr. Levy's intimidating
"New Directions" tape and the "Chromatic for Diatonic" Mel Bay
instructional.   So I guess my next step is to get some personal
guidance. With 3 jobs and 2 small kids, I'm not traveling to any
seminars / conferences any time soon. However, I will continue to pick
the brains of the touring pros (like the ever-gracious Mr. Ricci).   The
other next step is really finding the time to experiment with harp
regapping, etc.

Anyway, thanks harp-l for helping to reinstill in me a more humble
student mentality. It's made me a better player.

 -Blake
http://46long.com

>>> <Divejob@xxxxxxx> 04/28/05 9:38 AM >>>

In a message dated 4/28/2005 4:57:12 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,