[Harp-L] Echo Vamper

Steve said;
>This is not a double-reeded Echo, but an ancient 12-hole diatonic in C that
a friend has just given me.<

This is the famous harp that you see in old fims of Sonny Boy II in Euope.
End of production = 1975

>It has a wood comb with red paintall round the edges.  The nearest fit to
"today's" harps would be the 364 Marine Band I guess (same harp?).<

Yes it is the same exept for the engraving on the covers

 > To say the least it was in a bit of a state, but I've
cleaned it, fine-tuned it and gapped it and it's now one of the loudest,
responsive, most raucous and most agreeable harps I own.<

 You don't say!  I agree completely. I'm still using up to ten of the twelve
original keys! (Run out of reeds for the six hole on the Bb's)

 >I still have a serious problem though.  He must have stored it damp,
because the covers have hundreds of tiny corrosion spots that make it almost
too rough on the lips to play for more than a couple of minutes.  Can I do
anything about this, such as use a fine abrasive, or will I make it worse?
Any suggestions welcome. This harp is worth saving.<

IMO It's not the damp that caused the spotting, more like gastric acid
traces, as I've noticed the same effect on some of my "spare" cannibalised
ones. A fine abrasive works well. If not I think it's possible to get hold
of 364 covers.

These harps, with a little bit of work, i.e. screws instead of nails etc.
are great, and, as they have the same slot dimensions as Auto-Valve, Marine
Band Full Concert & XB's it would be easy to bring out at least the low D's
& F's. How about starting a petition?
Mox