[Harp-L] Recording a Demo (reprise)

Hi all,

   my bandmates and i will be heading into a recording
studio soon to make a demo. we're aiming for 3-5
songs, basically "live" (no edits or overdubs),
probably with little post production (i mean, what all
can they do?). none of us have ever been in a
recording studio before, and i'm wondering if anyone
has any tips - either on gear, setting up, dealing
with the sound, the studio guys, you name it.
    in all honesty, i kind of feel like i want to get
in and out asap, because i think the whole thing is a
bit of a waste of money (we're a cover band, we could
probably get gigs with just a recording of a live
show, which we could do for much much cheaper.) but i
want it to be a good experience, and i want to make
the most of it (and my cash!). at worst, i'd like to
have something i can play for friends and family that
i can be a little proud of.
   thoughts appreciated.

   thanks,
             --Jp