[Harp-L] [OT] Review of the John Butler Trio's Sunrise over Sea

Since it's often quiet here at the weekends I figured you wouldn't begrudge me mentioning that I have posted a review of the John Butler Trio's Sunrise over Sea on my weblog at http://harmonica.typepad.com. Although this record features no harmonica whatsoever, it's one of my best recent discoveries, and I wanted to share the love. Plus it's good to listen to non-harp stuff once in a while ;)

Anyway, here's the beginning of that review :

"I think I'm a sucker for nice black and white photos of acoustic string instrument. In fact, strike that: I know that I am. The other day, I was browsing through the pop/rock section of one of the record stores near work (the pop/rock section being where they keep Dr John, that gives you a good idea of the state of the industry...)

Anyway, I stumbled upon a listening post with the John Butler Trio's Sunrise Over Sea. On the front cover, John Butler in the studio sitting on a stool with his acoustic guitar and a rack of pedals, a banjo leaned against the wall next to him. On the back cover, a panoramic view of the studio, Butler on the left, the drummer in the center and the double-bassist on the right hand side.

I only vaguely remembered having heard a John Butler Trio track from one of the Bonnaroo CDs, and not being overly impressed. I listened to the first minute or so of the first track and I walked to the counter with a copy of the album. I think it was the double-bass on the back cover that did it. Man am I happy to go on impulse sometimes! Sunrise over Sea has not left the inside of my CD player ever since."

Ben FELTEN
http://harmonica.typepad.com