[Harp-L] Re: Improv in blues

While I understand the sentiment Chris M was making
with his original response, to advise NOT to listen to
harmonica and/or blues is completely ridiculous.

I improvise every note I play (unless it is part of an
arrangement), and I have listened to plenty of
harmonica and blues along the way.

However, I strongly advise to not listen to ONLY blues
or harmonica. Keeping in mind, there is a LOT to learn
from the masters of blues and of harmonica. Just be
picky about what you listen to...pick great players of
any style.

Vocalists, guitarists, horn players,
harmonica...whatever...just listen to as much GOOD
music as possible.

Transcribing the hundreds of songs I transcribed
myself note-for-note
helped me to learn my instrument and learn the
"language" of this music I love. This, in turn, will
help you improvise and find your own voice.

You must learn the ins & outs of the language before
you start your own dialect.

-Dennis Gruenling
www.dennisgruenling.com