[Harp-L] Improv in blues

I am kind of at a sticking point in terms of the
content of my playing. I know it is the nature or the
beast to play the "same thing" on harp. No matter how
much you know you are always playing the same blow and
draw notes on a harp.  It isn't like you can just
avoid playing 2 draw all together.  Sometimes, though,
I think I have too many predictable moves.  Like I
play 4 draw to 4 draw bent to 5 and back down quite
frequently (at different tempos).

How do you guys keep things fresh in terms of
phrasing?

I've been working on improv a lot lately, which is
much harder then transcribing solos.  Mostly, I've
been working on counting and following chord
changes....not to the point where I treat each change
like a totally new position, but to the point of
paying attention to what notes not to play and which
ones to emphasize.

Also, I've been working on arpeggios and scale
patterns.  Putting this stuff all together has been
hard.  I am sure it will be easier as I master the
skills, but it is still difficult.

Maybe I am finally developing a sound, but I don't
want to run out of ideas and have everything sound the
same.

Mike the parnoid harp player

Mike Fugazzi
Harmonica/Vocals