From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Garry Hodgson
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2005 10:42 AM
To: fjm; h-l
Subject: Re: Re: [Harp-L] Re: The 'Flexible Gospel'...now Melodic lines
vs.Tone

fjm <mktspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Who am I to decide what's ok to like and dislike about
> music?  I used to argue with people who would come up and tell me how
> they liked my band and or playing.  Yeah but we were really struggling
> first set and none of the musical ideas we presented were cohesive.  I'd
> go on and on and then one day I looked at someone's face as I was doing
> this and suddenly realised how rude I was being.

they're responding to what they heard.  you're responding to the diff
between what you wanted to do and what you did.  reminds me of a lyric from
Harry Chapin's song "Mr. Tanner":

the evening was a blur to him
spatters of applause
he did not know how well he sang
he only heard the flaws

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Your love, your anger, your kindness, your hate.
All of it creates the future for you and your children.
What kind of future are you creating today?