Re: [Harp-L] Re: The 'Flexible Gospel'...now Melodic lines vs. Tone

Iceman writes:

(Drunk upscale couple slapping you on the back telling you how they were truly moved by your performance).

So, if the couple got drunk on a good single malt then their criticism is valid and if a malt liquor in an oversized quart was the cause then we're pandering? We can extend the dui laws to include criticism, step away from the typewriter. I actually do think I hear what you're saying. I personally am rather pleased when somone comes up to me during a break or after a show and comments on aspects of my playing that I was working hard on communicating. What people comment on and what I'm trying to achieve are oftentimes entirely different things, and that's ok. Who am I to decide what's ok to like and dislike about music? I used to argue with people who would come up and tell me how they liked my band and or playing. Yeah but we were really struggling first set and none of the musical ideas we presented were cohesive. I'd go on and on and then one day I looked at someone's face as I was doing this and suddenly realised how rude I was being. Now I politely and sincerely thank them for their thoughts and for coming out to see the band. This is not at all an arguement with anything Mr. Eisenberg was saying regarding tone/melodic line. It's all a very personal struggle and the result we're trying to achieve differs from artist to artist. fjm