Re: [Harp-L] Re: The 'Flexible Gospel' according to Rob P

Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 5:20:28 PM, Chris wrote:

CM> Personally, I have a much bigger and rounder acoustic tone than Jason
CM> Ricci but he absolutely kills me with the amilifier... can't figure
CM> that stuff out.

I think that's where the _other_ stuff comes in: cupping, amp, mic,
and that sort of stuff -- but it's a package deal: in other words,
what sounds great acoustically may not translate through a mic, and
what doesn't sound good acoustically might. And the mic might be
picking up stuff more or less invisible to the naked ear, generated
in the whole internal sound chain: lungs, throat, oral cavity, teeth
and so on.

As an example in another realm: do you see turquoise as blue or
green? Lotsa folks with good eyes report differently.

But--like I said--I _think_. I don't know either. Mind you, I think
one of the _best_ things about harp is that you can give two (or 4 or
...) people the same harp and equipment at identical settings and I
don't expect any to sound the same, ever.

Ron

Ron