[Harp-L] Oddball Covers

Hey list,
   We do mostly original tunes, but the occasional oddball cover gets a lot
of attention at clubs. We do a bluegrass version of a Snoop Dogg song, "Gin &
Juice," that we somewhat stole arrangement-wise from a cool band called The
Gourds. That's right, a 3rd generation cover of a cover. Anyway, we ALWAYS get a
big crowd reaction from this tune. I still have never heard the original Snoop
version, but in the clubs we play, everybody seems to know it & dig the
bluegrass spin. The song toggles between the I & the IV chord so during a breakdown
we insert well-known tunes that fit the chords. This weekend we did "You
Can't Always Get What You Want", "Feelin' Allright", &  "For What It's Worth".  In
college type clubs this tune is huge for us, & the greatest thing about it is
that, used as a set opener, it really draws people to the band so we can
slide our own stuff in.

WARNING: the song "Gin & Juice" is profane, misogynistic, glorifies dope, &
is hilarious. It works in the clubs we play, it absolutely won't work
everywhere.

Later,
Rosco
 may.be au.gust