Re: [Harp-L] My Name Is Rooty and I Am a Harmonica Owner

I haven't had a lot of time with it on my lips yet (less than 10 minutes overall), but I am already frustrated. I've been trying to pick out Mary Had A Little Lamb on it. I have the first note....I just don't know where to go from there. Moreover, I am not even sure it's the right first note.

Rooty. Mary Had a Little Lamb is simple enough that it can confuse you due to the fact that you can start in at least three places to play it without bends; in different keys. If you start on 5 blow you will end on 4 blow (key of C, 1st position). If you start on 7 draw you will end on 6 blow (key of G, 2nd position up high where you don't need to bend). If you start on 6 draw you will end on 5 draw (key of F, 12th position). If you are trying to play a harp for the first time, by trial and error, that can confuse you because different things can work for you until you make a mistake. I'd recommend that you try it starting on the 5 blow (1st position), so you can have some encouraging success at figuring it out for yourself.

Any advice for where I should go from here?

Get a book that comes with a CD that gives you tab for melodies (as opposed to a blues licks thing). There are a number of method books with tunes in at least 1st, 2nd, and 3rd positions. Even if that's not the music that you want to play, it teaches you about the instrument. You learn where it is that you make the different sounds within the context of familiar tunes. Try to not get so hooked on tab that the next time you want to learn a tune you send us a "does anyone know where I can find the tab for..." post. It's just for helping you learn the instrument.

This guy will get you started with tab http://www.dataflo.net/~mpurintun/index.htm (free) but you probably should consider a building block (logically organized) instruction book so you can learn in a logical manner. Other folks that play better than me might tell you something else, listen to them :0)

Peace and music,
Dave