[Harp-L] My Name Is Rooty and I Am a Harmonica Owner

My Name Is Rooty and I Am a Harmonica Owner. I bought a harmonica today.

Because I know none of you will be able to sleep until you hear all about it, I thought I'd spare you a sleepless night.

I went to my local musical instrument emporium to see what they had in stock. I blanched when I saw the starting price of 12-hole chromatics ($149.99 and up, but that's Canadian money). I knew my budget was not going to withstand that.

That left my choices to be either a diatonic, or a diatonic.

I chose to get a diatonic.

I asked to see a number of them, including the recommended Horner Special 20. I must have looked like such a dork, opening each harmonica case to look at them. To these eyes, they all looked pretty much the same. Then I cradled each one in my two hands the way I've seen harmonica players do since the beginning of time. To these hands, they all pretty much felt the same. I don't think I fooled the gentleman waiting on me at all.

To be perfectly honest, so many people recommended the Special 20, I had already decided this would be the one for me. However, they didn't have it in the Key of C. Being an instant gratification kind of guy, I started looking at the ones they *DID* have in C, because almost everyone said that was the best key in which to buy a starter harmonica *AND* I wasn't leaving there without a harmonica.

I eventually settled on a Horner Blues Harp MS. Why? To begin with, it felt just as good as any other when I held it. Secondly, and this was the clincher, the guy behind the counter (who was really, really old. From all the framed newspaper articles and 8x10s on the wall I gleaned he was the founder of the store way back when) told me that it was easier than any of the other models for bending notes. Say no more!!!

I also figured that at $29.99 (Canadian money still), it didn't break the budget and I can always get a Special 20 in the Key of C, or any other key of my choosing, at the same price later.

I haven't had a lot of time with it on my lips yet (less than 10 minutes overall), but I am already frustrated. I've been trying to pick out Mary Had A Little Lamb on it. I have the first note....I just don't know where to go from there. Moreover, I am not even sure it's the right first note. DAMN!!! This is going to be harder than I thought. I learned that song within 5 minutes on the touch-tone phone.

I was going to try and pick out the scale, until I realized that I only had the white keys on the piano.

To quote Lenny Bruce: You need the white keys and the darkies to play The Star Spangled Banner.

Any advice for where I should go from here?