Re: [Harp-L] Cover Songs

At 04:34 PM 15/04/2005, S.Doyle Yoder Sr wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Fernando Toral" <ftoral@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <Harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 9:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Cover Songs
Chris Michalek wrote:

What are the "cheesiest" or not so cheesy cover songs you guys play?

Lately we've been doing:

(...)

I like this thread, but -sorry for my ignorance- why are these songs so called "cheesy"?

Fer from Argentina
__Thank you Fer, I wanted to ask the same question, I just didn't know how to approach it, even though there is nothing 'cheesy', in my opinion, with any of the songs that I saw.

Yeah, I was wondering that, too. Is it because they are over played? I've noticed in similar threads on this and other lists that that's a pretty regional thing--in same places everybody seems to do the same covers, and others those songs are all but unheard for example, I'm about 99% certain that we are the only band around here that does "She Caught the Katy"--I say that because every time I get anew bass player (which is quite often these days) I have to teach them the song and they always want to play it as a 12 bar. (My girlfriend thinks it's regarded as cheesy because The Blues Brothers did it , making it automatically cheesy, but that's another flame>)

Also I don't think I've heard anyone do "Stormy Monday Blues" for years, (in fact, I'm actually thinking of putting it back into regular rotation).

I'm just curious--I don;t want to go somewhere to play and be considered cheesy.

maurice

maurice richard libby
aka Whiteboy Slim
"twenty-first century blues"