[Harp-L] Band Attire and Cheese

I have enjoyed both of these threads and hope a neophyte won't be chastised for an opinion, or two, or more.

BAND ATTIRE & DRESS CODES:

I need to preface this with the fact that I am allergic to dress codes, being a long-time jeans and t-shirt kind of guy.

There's a dress code where I work. The ONLY thing verboten is blue jeans, under the admonition that blue jeans are not professional attire. Shorts? They're okay. Sweat pants? No problem. Sweat pants with holes and or grass stains? It's all good. Crop tops with belly button rings showing? Still fine. Cargo pants? Okie-dokey. But, no blue jeans.

In fact, I have made the joke (often) that my place of employment discriminates on the basis of colour: You can wear black jeans, tan jeans, green jeans, corduroy jeans. The only jeans one cannot wear are blue jeans, so it's discrimination on the basis of colour.

Obviously the rule makes no sense and the Emperor has no clothes.

However, we are not on-stage, either. I agree with those who say band members should dress appropriately for the venue. I also agree with the other opinion that says a band that's a democracy might democratize itself into ennui. I have found that bands work better when there is a leader whose word is law. If you're the leader, lay down the law. I don't wear jeans at work because it's against the rule, no matter how silly I believe the stupid rule may be.

CHEESE

Why I feel I can talk about the inner workings of bands is because I have managed several. To list my bona fides: I managed Canada's VERY FIRST Roots Reggae band, way back in the '70s, named Ishan People, later renamed Ishan Band. We put out 2 LPs, both produced by David Clayton Thomas, who was (probably still is) a huge Reggae fan, long before most people had ever heard the genre. The second band was a Queen Street Art/Rock/Pop band named Drastic Measures. It was the Punk era and Art/Rock was a very hard sale at the time. However, we managed one LP on Columbia. A second was recorded, but never released. The third band was a 9-piece '80s World Beat band named Officials, which included musicians from all over the world (Africa, Canada and the Caribbean, mostly) including Osibisa's Del Richardson (from Europe) on guitar and vocals.

While I may be a neophyte on harmonica, I do understand bands.

Each band I managed was outside of the mainstream. Consequently, one of the pieces of advice I offered to them all was to judiciously sprinkle a few cover tunes in their live set. People "get" cover tunes. A Reggae version of a familiar song allows an audience to better understand what Reggae is all about.

Now, all these years later, I might not be so insistent on that because Reggae is not all that foreign to the ears. However, back then it was important.

Another thing about cover tunes is that people just love them. How galling it must be to be a songwriter who creates some terrific, inventive, melodious music onstage, only to have it totally overwhelmed by the reaction to some cheesy cover that has the shock of the familiar. That's the way it goes. Audiences eat that crap up.

And, the word "cheesy" reminds me of Suzy Creamcheese. Frank Zappa, brilliant as he was (not up for debate!!!), was not above cover tunes. If he wasn't covering some Doo Wop, he was all over things like Purple Haze, Stairway To Heaven, Whipping Post, Sunshine of Your Love, or Bolero. (Yes, Bolero.)

Cover tunes, as cheesy as they may be, are still worth chewing on for musician and audience alike.

Lastly, how sad it was to learn here that Matt "Guitar" Murphy had a stroke. I have so much music that he's a part of in my collection (42 linear feet of CDs). I finally managed to see Blues Brothers 2000 on tee vee the other night and, while it's not as much fun as the original flick, it still had its moments.

I wish him all the best.