RE: [Harp-L] Hello and introduction

First, ron wrote:
> > I think it's probable that _lots_ of people have been frustrated by
> > the diatonic, espcially if they don't start off thinking "blues" and
> > especially if they are trying to approach the harmonica in a sort of
> > visual sense, or at least relating to a straightforward scale logic.

Then Vern Smith replied:
> I think that you have nailed it.  After considering all of the recent
posts
> including yours, Tom's and mine, I would like to try to summarize the
> disagreement:
>
> The beginner will get positive feedback to the extent that he can quickly
> fulfill his wishes and desires on the harmonica.
> IF..he knows a bunch of songs that he can sing and whose melodies already
> run in his head; and he wants to play them on a harmonica...THEN he should
> start on a chromatic.  For him, (and for me when I was a kid) the melody
is
> the most important thing.

Hey, Vern -
While I see your point, I wouldn't restrict the benefits of being melodic
(viz, a singer, or in my case a whistler) only to the chrom' player.  For
example, akin to what to Mojo and Mike were talking about, I find that
playing songs for which I ~know~ the tune by heart in various positions on a
diatonic to be some of the best exercises I know of.  For me, playing scales
really didn't help me learn to nail specific bends (e.g., 3D' vs. 3D'' vs.
3D''') as well as playing songs in which I ~knew~ in my bones what the bent
note should sound like 'cuz I'd heard and/or whistled a tune dozens, even
hundreds of times.  Familiar folk, campfire, and even kid's songs that
everyone knows played thusly make for great diatonic practice fodder, IMO.

> IF he wants to "play harmonica" and make those pleasant, bluesy, wailing,
> harmonious sounds that he associates with TV commercials or blues
> performances...THEN he should start out on a diatonic. For him the
> characteristic harmonica sound is the most important thing.
>
> What do you think?

Gee, Vern, I figgered ~everyone~ who plays a harmonica wants to make
pleasant, bluesy, wailing, harmonious sounds!  What else is left?  ;^)

At least that's the way I see it,

Michelle