RE: [Harp-L] Trouble With Timing

 I seem to have trouble with my timing when playing along with a
backing track or guitarist. Anybody have any good excercises to help
me get better timing?

-Stiv Whiskywine

Take heart, because at least you know you have something you need to work on. If your guitarist can hold a good firm line rhythmically and tempo-wise, listen to him/her very attentively when you're playing together - eventually you'll develop a togetherness. Not much good though if he/she drifts just to keep with you. Democracy can be a bad thing. Playing along with CDs or tracks is OK but there's a whole dimension of interaction missing. Also, you should record yourself playing and listen for the faults in timing - gives you specific instances of weakness to work on. Get someone else to listen too. It can be excruciating, but it's very good in the long run (speaking from experience).

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm